Wednesday, March 23, 2022

A Wild Amalgam

 Sometimes we try to connect all the pieces we publish . . . and sometimes we just can't!

Enjoy a wild amalgam of writing and art this month.  We think you will find lots to admire. 

Artwork by Richard W., Grade 7


The Someone


I never liked someone.

 

Not before, not now.

 

No strong feelings,

No burning sensation.

No anything.

 

I never wanted to feel love,

Or longing.

I was fine with what I had.

 

I haven’t liked someone.

 

Not now, not ever.

 

I'm too young,

I'm not comfortable,

This topic is getting out of hand.

 

I don't like someone…

 

Not ever, not…

 

Can we leave it alone?

I don’t want to talk about this.

This isn't right.

 

But really, deep inside, I know like someone.

 

Before, for now, and forever.

 

The way that they smile,

The way that they laugh,

The way they make my spirits soar.

 

But it's not possible.

 

It shouldn't be possible.

 

I never liked anyone.

Not this way, before.

I don't know how to respond.

 

They don't even know me.

 

I don't even know them.

 

Why do I feel like this?

 

For someone I don't know.

For someone I haven't known

For someone that I won't know.

 

And for that someone, I feel like this.

 

Maybe that's bad,

At least for some people.

But to me?

 

It's the best thing that ever happened to me.

 

So I'll smile, and introduce myself.

 

To someone that I will know.

To someone that I know.

To someone that I have known.

 

To someone,

Who likes me.

 

And that I,

Like right back.

 

Maybe for Valentine's Day?

Cheerio!


by Richard W., Grade 7



Artwork by Mackenzie J., Grade 7

Storybook Ghosts


There are ghosts in my head

I don’t understand them

But I am not afraid

Because I do know them

 

One quiet and gentle

A silent listener

When the days feel wrong

And I wish I wasn’t here to see it

 

One loud and alive

A cheering voice

When excitement awakes

And the music swells

 

One stiff and reassuring

A constant presence

When the world feels crushing

And I swear to god that I’m alone

 

One wise and caring

A feathered umbrella over my head

When the rain drips down

And I walk home slowly

 

One cheerful and innocent

A laughing companion

When I’m second guessing

And nothing I do feels right

 

One smart and eccentric

A comical tablemate

When I sit bored in the back

And do my work between drawings

 

 One empathetic and loyal

A careful advisor

When I have questions I can’t ask

And scars I’d rather not share

 

Yes, there are ghosts in my head

I’m starting to understand them

But I'll never be afraid of them

Because I know what I wrote


by Mackenzie J., Grade 7




Artwork by Will S., Grade 9



They & Them



The left and the right side.

She and he.

 

She was the lightness in the early morning dew.

A treat to be bestowed upon a king adorned with a crown of shimmer.

However, lightness is oh so heavy a burden to carry.

So with a smile she turns to dawn and begs to god she shall not falter.

Never in front of the eyes of others. 

For they could never know, there was never lightness, and never dew.

Now glorious dawn is long, long gone.

Dusk shall stay in place.

 

He was the bite to a glass of ginger ale.

Heavy down the throat and a pit in the stomach.

But he was fresh on the lips and an invigorating surge to the soul.

So ginger ale he was, and ginger ale he’ll be.

A hidden captain to the start of a new adventure.

Too much a shame it’s to say, the journey would never begin.

 

To say they hated themselves would be a lie, but to say they loved the isolation is the truth indeed.

For she was he, and he was she.

Perhaps that made them the biggest hypocrite of all.

 by Jaime P., Grade 8



No comments:

Post a Comment