Monday, June 5, 2023

Farewell Day 5: June 5th with Kate M.

 We bring you today's poem from Kate M., who is just finishing her eighth grade year. 


I want you to notice me the way I notice you!

By Kate Monroe

I’m right here. I’m sitting right here, right behind you. I’m staring at the back of your head. I don’t want to stare at the back of your head. No sane person does. You are perfect and you in all your perfect perfectness are sitting a few feet in front of me.

Turn around. Meet my eyes. Make out with me in front of the class. I don’t care. Just say something, anything. Even just a glance would be better than…than this!

Say something stupid to make me smile. Say something flirty to make me fall. Ask me a question about what “A nosotros nos no gusta la falda verde de lana” means. And I’ll tell you, even though my morals tell me to not ask for the answers. I'll tell you anyway because I want something in my immaculate translation skills to make you see me, finally.

If we weren’t in the middle of Spanish, I would stand up with all my dignity lost to the wind and proclaim my love.

I don’t even know if this is love. What I do know is I’ve been a wreck for 6 months because of you.

Now, I don’t want you to think that’s a bad thing, because it’s not. You’ve given me light. You’ve given me a reason to smile in the mornings. You’ve also given me a reason to believe my day is ruined when you don’t walk into 1st period.

That’s being melodramatic, according to my mom. That’s, however, beside the point.

You just don’t understand. How I scream the most relatable lyrics of my life when I’m home alone, thinking about you.

If you could see that I'm the one

Who understands you

Been here all along

So, why can't you see?

You belong with me

You belong with me

So please, take a hint from Taylor, and see that I’m the one who understands you. Who’s been here all along, so why can’t you seeEEee?




No comments:

Post a Comment