Saturday, November 8, 2014

A Found Poem

Tuesdays With Morrie is an inspiring read for eighth-graders at Holicong, and recently students in Mrs. Schmidt's class created "found poetry" using the words of Mitch Albom and Morrie Schwarz to craft their own insights.  The goal is this: create something new (a poem) with scraps of something published (Mitch Albom's book) with an eye for wisdom and an ear for rhythm.  This is just one example of the poetry students were able to craft.



Running Out
lines discovered in Tuesdays with Morrie

My old friend, you’ve come back at last
I want to tell you about my life
I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on all the good things still in my life
We’re so wrapped up with all the egotistical things
Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel
To know you’re going to die, and to be prepared for it at any time
“Dying” was not synonymous with “useless”
I don’t want to leave this world in a state of fright.

I want to know what’s happening, accept it, get to a peaceful place, and let go
Dying is only one thing to be sad over
I’m on the last great journey here—and people want me to tell them what to pack 
I’ve had a good life, and we all know it’s going to happen
I had the coldest realization that our time was running out

by Gage M.
Grade 8

artwork by Paige K.
Grade 8


No comments:

Post a Comment