Thursday, May 7, 2015

Injustice and Pelicans

In this poem, the writer uses a frame of sentence structure created by another poet to craft an original poem about injustice and silence.  This copy-change technique allows writers to capture big ideas in captivating rhythms modeled after the masters of the craft.

And in other news, we have a delightful painting of a pelican :)  Enjoy the spring!


First they banned books, and I
could not speak out --
Because I could no longer know what to say.

Then they banned communication, and I
could not speak out --
Because I no longer heard other voices.

Then they banned writing, and I
could not speak out --
Because I did not have a voice.

Then they banned opinions -- and
there was nothing more my voice could speak for. 

by Michael S., Grade 7


artwork by Adam G., Grade 7

No comments:

Post a Comment