Monday, May 6, 2013

Joy

Every now and then, we need a little snow in all of this sunny weather!  Enjoy this vignette by an seventh grade writer . . .
 
Joy

I put my goggles down and look at the ski lift; the only thing standing between me and the lift is the biggest hill I have ever seen. With that, I am off - soaring down the hill. I feel like a model with wind blowing in my hair and people taking millions of pictures of me.  I'm a STAR! 

I go around the first corner and the snow flies up like hundreds of bees buzzing around me.  I slow myself down because I'm about to go off a ramp, but I don't.  I'm scared, so I go the easy way down.

I turn the corner and whiz off of the next jump and I land face first in the snow.  The stinging, white crystals burn my face, and I think that it will be so much easier if I just give up.  But I won't. 

I get up and push on to the next jump.  For a second, I feel like an angel, floating over all the other people, looking down on the white blanket of snow.  I see other people flashing by, and that gives me strength.  I soar down the hill, much like an eagle chasing a snake. I was chasing my dream to make it to the bottom of the hill.

My dream comes true as I turn the last corner and see the lift, which I will soon ride over and over again.  I ask myself why is this all worth it, and the answer is simple:  JOY.  It's the feeling when you are going faster and faster down the hill. It gives you joy.  Isn't that why you should do everything?  Not because your friend likes to do it, or your parents are making you.  It's because of those few seconds that feel like magic when you are free, and you know that everything is going to be okay.

 
By Elizabeth G., Grade 7
(No, she is not Kenny G's daughter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment